On February 23, 2013 Gary DeMar participated in “Revelation: An Evangelical Symposium” in Reno, Nevada, with Sam Waldron — Academic Dean and Resident Professor of Systematic Theology at the Midwest Center for Theological Studies and author of
— and James Hamilton — Associate Professor of Biblical Theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and author of
The participants barely scratched the surface in their presentations of their respective positions since each of them only had 55 minutes to present their views with almost no time allotted for cross examination.A great deal was left unsaid and unchallenged. That’s to be expected.Because there was not an opportunity to respond to a number of claims and charges made by Mr. Hamilton, who holds a historic premillennial position, and Mr. Waldron, who advocates for amillennialism, Mr. DeMar decided to respond in print with this short book.
In Part 1 of Prophecy Wars, Mr. DeMar covers topics related to (1) the time texts, audience reference (the use of the second person plural), and prophetic signs that are described by Jesus in the Olivet Discourse (Matt. 24; Mark 13; Luke 21), (2) the claim made by James Hamilton that preterism is based on the historical works of first-century Roman-Jewish historian Flavius Josephus (AD 37–100), an eyewitness to the destruction of Jerusalem that occurred in AD 70, (4) the meaning of Jesus’ use of “this generation,” and (5) John Murray’s (1898–1975) interpretation of Matthew 24–25, a position that Mr. Waldron follows.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Expanded Symposium Responses
1. Exegetical Gerrymandering of the Time Texts
2. “It Doesn’t Matter if Jesus Said ‘This’ or ‘That’ ”
3. What Commentators Say About “This Generation”
4. Sam Waldron, John Murray, and the Olivet Discourse
5. Flavius Josephus and Preterism
Part 2: Sundry Prophecy Issues Answered
6. Isaiah 17: Prophecy Fulfilled … But Not in Our Time
7. Blood Moons, Prophecy, and the Integrity of the Bible
8. Disputing Ray Comfort’s “Ten Indisputable Signs . . .”
9. “Just Like the Days of Noah”
10. Calculating the Number of the Beast
11. Refuting the Charges of “Replacement Theology”
Specifications: MP4 video download (74 minutes) and/or complete MP3 audio download (4.7 hours) of the entire debate. All formats include a PDF copy of Gary DeMar's, 'Prophecy Wars' plus his PDF Outline of the Olivet Discourse. Paperback, 190 pages.